Tuesday, February 14, 2012

On Vacation

Thanks to Wm Rowe

When I was a kid my whole family would pile in the car to head to the beach for a week of family togetherness and vacation. I always will remember that my dad would go around checking the doors and windows to make sure they are sealed tight and locked so that no one could get in while we were gone. He would also turn off the hot water heater and shut off the breakers to the house. I always thought this was a bit overkill until I went on a vacation myself to come home and find a pipe had burst in my house and flooded my entire basement and the backyard while I was gone. Unfortunately the neighbors were also out of town so there was no one there to notice and shut the water off at the street. After that lovely little incident I found out that it could have been prevented with a motion detector attached to my home security systems. The motion of the water would have set off the alarm and someone would have come to the house to turn off the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment